We are a young company and we are constantly learning. Something that’s been on our minds right from day one is how we can consistently and measurably do good things, better and a massive part of that is our commitment to sustainability and all that it entails.
For the last 9 months, we have been working very hard on our sustainability strategy and identifying what we want to achieve. Our vision is to build a company and a community which have a positive impact on the world. The foundation of our strategy centres around the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals and how we impact our community, our own team and the environment.
We have made some significant improvements across all aspects of the business in the last 6 months and later this year, we will launch our first-ever sustainable collection (made from reclaimed ocean plastic), But today, we are excited to announce a major partnership!!
What are we doing?
We are delighted to announce that we are partnering with One Tree Planted! OTP is an environmental charity, they are on a mission to make it simple for anyone to help the environment by planting trees!
ONE EURO. ONE TREE.
OTP is dedicated to making it easier for individuals and businesses to give back to the environment, create a healthier climate, protect biodiversity and help reforestation efforts around the world. All by planting trees! Started in 2014, they have more than doubled the number of trees planted year over year. Fast-forward to today, they now work with awesome reforestation partners all over the world who help get trees in the ground to restore forests after fires and floods, create jobs, build communities, and protect habitat for biodiversity. In 2019, One Tree Planted was able to get more trees in the ground than ever before - over 4 million!
How are we doing this?
Our goal is to plant 50,000 trees this year by working together with our community and OTP. That’s a tree for every hoodie ordered this year! :) So, from February 25th, when making an order online or instore, our community will be invited to plant a tree for €1. At the end of the year, we will match the number of trees our community has planted and together we can make a significant impact.
Why are we doing this?
Trees help clean the air we breathe, filter the water we drink, and provide habitat to over 80% of the world's terrestrial biodiversity. Forests absorb harmful carbon from the atmosphere and are key ingredients in 25% of all medicines. Ever taken an Aspirin? It comes from the bark of a tree!
We believe by partnering with One Tree Planted, we are playing our part in tackling one of the planet’s major challenges. Below are some tree facts to understand the scale of the challenge:
- 80% of the world's forests are already destroyed.
- Every 1.2 seconds man destroys an area of forest the size of a football field.
- 1.6 billion people rely on forests for their livelihoods.
- The world’s rainforests could completely vanish in a hundred years at the current rate of deforestation.
- If forests are destroyed through logging or burning, their carbon is released into the atmosphere as carbon dioxide, a climate-changing greenhouse gas.
- 80,000 acres of forests disappear from the earth every day!
- 12.4 million acres of forests are permanently converted to growing commodity crops, such as palm oil, each year.
- 28,000 species are expected to become extinct by the next 25 years due to deforestation.
- 48lbs of co2 is sequestered by a mature tree every year.
- Tropical forest destruction accounts for about 20% of current greenhouse gas emissions.
Throughout the year, we will give updates on what reforestation projects we are contributing to. This will include a breakdown of what tree species were planted, expected survival rates, community engagement, and ecological benefits.
We are very excited to launch this partnership with One Tree Planted and to see our community’s response. This is the first step on our sustainability journey and there will be more chapters coming very soon.